There are some phrases that jar and compel at the same time, Disruptive Innovation is just such a phrase. When mentioning Disruptive Innovation I often notice a quizzical look on people faces, a few will ask what exactly Disruptive Innovation is but most will nod in acknowledgment of its cachet. Buzz surrounds the phrase, and I will not be surprised when people start inserting the initials into conversations: “Have you heard what company A is doing with DI lately?” Truly amazing…
Ad Agencies, Social Media Powerhouses, App Developers, and even New Wave Chef’s will create over the top nonsensical slogans to convince you of their prowess.
- Game Changing DI
- Taking DI To A New Level
- Innovation Fueled With DI
- Not Just Innovation – Disruptive Innovation
- DI Mindset for Your Success
Most of the talk about Disruptive Innovation uses the phrase to mean “game changing” invention. Apple’s iPad fits into this definition along with their iPhone. The problem is most small business will never create a game changing device or roll out an idea so radical that a new market is born and their profits expanded into the stratosphere.
The other definition of DI is creating an innovative way to produce and sell a product cheaper then anyone else. Capture the bottom end of the market with a dramatically cheaper widget and you’ll disrupt the market keeping your competitor awake for many nights. This version of DI is perhaps the original version and not nearly as sexy for agencies to promote but for small business it may be the most important definition.
Recently I came across a new company that has nailed Disruptive Innovation. The video is humorous and at first seems like a skit from Saturday Night Live but it’s not, it’s a real company. watch the video and visit the website. Dollar Shaver Club
Both of these are a must for anyone in business. I think many will find the first one does a wonderful job of crystallizing an understanding of Disruptive Innovation and the second video naturally extends the understanding.
1. Clay Christensen, Harvard Business School professor and the world’s most influential management guru according to the Thinkers50, lays out his landmark theory. Disruptive Innovation Explained.
2. An interview with Scott Anthony, President, Innosight. Disruptive innovation occurs when an innovator brings something to market that is simple, convenient, accessible, and affordable.